Links below to news, talks and selected articles. For more academic writing, see my hcommons page.
- Oct 2023: We’re delighted that ‘At the Gates: Disability, Justice and the Churches’ has been longlisted for the Michael Ramsey Prize. It’s on sale at Church House Bookshop with all the great longlisted books.
- Journal article: ‘Speaking With Us, Not For Us: Neurodiversity, Theology and Justice’, Journal of Disability and Religion, Aug 2023. Or read here.
- Talk: Disability and Justice: Prophets on the Edge, Greenbelt, Aug 2023.
- Webinar: At the Gates: Sharing the Stories of Disabled Christians, St Paul’s Cathedral, June 2023. In a series on Christianity and social justice.
- Book: At the Gates: Disability, Justice and the Churches by Naomi Lawson Jacobs and Emily Richardson (Darton, Longman and Todd, 2022).
- Interview: Mad and Crip Theology Podcast, Dec 2022.
- Journal article: A Story Like Mine, Canadian Journal of Theology, Mental Health and Disability 2(2), Nov 2022.
- Media article: Disability and God’s Justice, Modern Church, Nov 2022.
- Interview with Sam Wells at ‘Wholly, Holey, Holy’ conference (Inclusive Church/SMITF annual disability conference), Aug 2023. Write-up here by Emily.
- Interview: Disability Justice, Preach Magazine YouTube, Sept 2022.
- Interview: ‘Reflections’, Torch Trust/RNIB Radio, Sept 2022.
- Book Review of ‘My Body is Not a Prayer Request’ by Amy Kenny, Inclusive Church, Aug 2022.
- Media article: A Vision for Disabled Christians. Preach Magazine, 20th July 2022. Guest post with Emily Richardson.
- Media article: Opening Up the Church Gates to Disabled People. Church of England Newspaper, 8th July 2022.
- Webinar: Disability and Church: Intersectionality, Church Times/HeartEdge. Panel with Fiona MacMillan, Rev Dr Lamar Hardwick and Rev Rachel Mann.
- Journal article: A Man with a Mission: Mark 1:40–45 and ‘Mission With’ Disabled People, ANVIL Journal of Theology and Mission (vol. 38, issue 1), March 2022. Full issue here.
- Review: ‘(Still) Calling from the Edge’ Conference, Inclusive Church, Oct 2021.
- Webinar: Disability and Power in the Church of England, Michael Ramsey Centre for Anglican Studies, Nov 2021. Panel discussion with Kt Tupling. ‘Power in the Church of England’ series.
- Talk: Disability and Sexuality: Queer Encounters with Diverse Bodies and Minds (PDF). Open Table London, Sept 2021.
- Talk: Shut In, Shut Out, Shut Up: Ableism, Faith and Church (video). HeartEdge, May 2021. Part of Fiona MacMillan’s grassroots disability theology series.
- Webinar: Shut In, Shut Out, Shut Up: Disability, Church and Coronavirus, HeartEdge, September 2020. On access & participation in a post-coronavirus church, for the grassroots disability theology series.
- Media article: Disabled People are Worthy of Love, Lacuna, June 2020.
- PhD thesis: thesis: The Upside-Down Kingdom of God: A Disability Studies Perspective on Disabled People’s Experiences in Churches and Theologies of Disability, SOAS, University of London, 2019.
- Booklet: The Upside-Down Kingdom of God: Stories of Disabled and Neurodivergent People in Churches. Booklet in plain English, sharing research findings. Thanks to Krysia Waldock for reviewing the booklet for Inclusive Church.
- Book chapter: ‘The Cult of Health and Wholeness: Normalcy and the Charismatic Christian Healing Movement.’ In Theorising Normalcy and the Mundane: Precarious Positions, University of Chester Press, 2016.
- Interview: Reflections, Torch Trust, June 2016. Interview with Marilyn Baker for Premier Christian Radio.
- Interview: Questions of Faith: Faith and Disability, Share Radio, June 2016. With Bill Braviner & disability theologians on barriers for disabled people in faith communities.
- Conference paper: Passing for Normal: The Austerity Politics of Visibility and Invisibility for Disabled People, Disrupting Visibility: The Politics of Passing conference, Goldsmiths, University of London, June 2015.
- Journal article: ‘Imagine: Outside.’ The Still Point (1), 2015. On doing disability research as a disabled researcher. Performed at the Still Point journal launch.
Find my occasional storytelling at Stories from the Garden.